Dear Charlie,

Thursday, August 25, 2011

I'll never forget the first night we spent together. I was laying comfortably in my bed watching Keeping up with the Kardashians when I saw you for the first time. You scrambled across my floor so fast I thought that maybe I had imagined you, yet I knew in my heart you were there with me. You kept the shoes in my closet company, letting me know that they would always be looked out for. You ran across my kitchen floor, likely just making sure all food crumbs were disposed of.

When you disappeared for weeks, and sometimes months, I wondered if you would ever come back. But the droppings I found under my bed told me that you were there, watching me, the entire time.

You taught me that wearing Hunter boots and cleaning gloves at the same time while holding a can of raid would not make you leave me. Nor would the boric acid, or the mouse traps I laid for you. All the time, energy, and money I spent on you went to waste, it seems, but I know that you will develop a relationship with the next tenant.

Don't worry that I'll forget you. Whenever I walk barefoot to the bathroom at night, I know you'll cross my mind. And anytime I see a shadow or sudden movement out of the corner of my eye, I'll wonder if it's you. My family will remember you always, as well, as you and my sister developed a lovely bond when watching The Glee Project this past summer.

I wish you luck in the future. I know you'll find someone you love even more than me. Please understand that I can't bring myself to leave you my new address.

Fondly,
Nygirl3

0 comments:

Post a Comment