Becoming "ungreen"

Thursday, August 25, 2011

I'm green.

Not queasy, but inexperienced. From my first day off of the reception desk until now I have learned so so much about this company and the programs they use and how this industry works. But I still feel so frustrated with myself that I'm so far behind.

I've started assisting an editor at work who works only on Avid. This is a problem for me since I have 5 years of Final Cut experience but know nothing whatsoever about Avid. In the past 2 weeks of assisting her, I've had to use Avid, After Effects, Photoshop, and Illustrator. How many of these do I know? ....none. Well, now I do know the basics of Avid and I know enough about After Effects that I can make a super with an alpha channel, which is good, but I can't help but feel so far behind. I had friends in college who knew these programs, why why WHY didn't I try to pick them up then?

My good friend at work, M, says "no one knows everything right away. I used to go home crying because I thought I would never learn this." That makes me feel better. For some reason programs like these have always been really difficult for me to learn. Ironic that I chose an industry which primarily revolves around them. I know I'll get there. For now all I can do is watch tutorials and practice. Nothing makes you learn faster than doing and this past week I've had to make some revisions which I found very challenging. But I'm learning!

The learning can't come fast enough, let me tell you. Hopefully once I get past my first year I'll stop making mistakes and start moving faster. Hopefully?

0 comments:

Post a Comment