The Birthday Blog

Saturday, August 6, 2011

A friend of mine, and fellow Leo, recently made a very interesting blog posting and I've decided to copy her. After all of the shit that's gone down in the past month or so, it couldn't hurt to take a step back and look at 24 crazy things that have happened in the last year.

1. Got my first industry paycheck for freelance editing.
2. Worked 17 hour days at an internship and as a server, sometimes not getting home until 4am.
3. The job fell through, so I quit my serving job and traveled around Scotland for a month.
4. Got hired as reception at a post house- hope revived!
5. Moved to a new apartment in New York...in the snow.
6. Got promoted to junior assistant after 3 months at reception.
7. Learned how to dress like an adult- thanks mom!
8. Learned how to battle, and become less afraid of, cockroaches.
9. Learned how to accept, and come to live with, Charlie, the waterbug aka "toe-biter." Seriously, google toe-biter.
10. Made amazing life-long friendships with my coworkers.
11. Learned how to patch in the machine room, convert all kinds of files, capture dailies, and assist editors, among other things.
12. Seen my first New York snow and thought it was beautiful.
13. Walked through tiny pathways in New York snow and thought it was awful.
14. Lost my childhood dog, Gracie.
15. Spent a day reading in the fall leaves of central park.
16. Found my favorite lounge in New York.
17. Learned how to live with someone opposite of you.
18. Learned how to ask for what I want both in life and in the workplace.
19. Been on many, many bad first (and last) dates.
20. Broke up with and made up with my best friend.
21. Discovered/battled bed bugs!
22. Perused craigslist like mad to find a new place.
23. Cried. A lot.
24. Found an awesome apartment that I can't wait to move into which will save me money and is in a better location.

If I can do all of this in one year (not to mention everything I've done in the past year and a half), I think I'm going to be ok.

I never expected moving to the city to be so hard. I always knew it was what I wanted, but I just thought I'd get here and everything would work itself out. I suppose it has, it's just taking so much longer than I'd like.

I hope that 24 will be better than 23. As amazing as 23 was, I'm really ready to feel settled! I'm ready for a period of calm. I wonder what next year's list will bring. 25?? Gahh!

1 comments:

Pretty Zesty said...

Wow, I'm really behind on your life! Hope to see you Thursday!

Post a Comment