A jar of peanut butter and a doorman

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Shopping for groceries in New York is very different from shopping for groceries in other U.S. cities. Because the markets are all right out your door, you can shop for what you want each day instead of each week. Grocery shopping is one of my least favorite things to do. I am not good of thinking of meals and I don't generally have the patience to cook something. By the time I get home from my day I'm hungry and I just want to eat- not wait an hour for something to cook.

Yesterday I had my first shopping experience in New York. I bought some berries, soymilk, bannas, bread, and peanut butter. Once home, I realized that all that left me to eat was peanut butter on bread with berries. Ok. I took the plastic off of the peanut butter and tried to open the jar. Wasn't happening. I ran the jar under hot water (at the bathroom sink, as that's the only one) but still I could not get that damn jar open! By now my frustration was growing as it had been about ten minutes I had been trying to get this stupid thing open. My resolution? Ask the doorman. The jar of peanut butter and myself rode the elevator down to the first floor and asked "W" if he would kindly open the jar for me. He gave me a very odd look and easily opened the jar. I grinned with relief and embarrassment, tipped him, and returned to my room with my tail between my legs. Embarrassing? Yes. But you can bet that peanut butter sandwich was freakin' awesome.

0 comments:

Post a Comment