Manhattan does not want me to be employed

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Yesterday was a rough day. But before I get into that, let me recap the weekend...

Saturday was an awesome day. D took me to a wedding in "Fishkill" New York, which is right next to Poughkeepsie. Fishkill. Funny name. Thank god we got there when we did because had we arrived five minutes later we would have run into the bride and groom walking down the isle. Because the wedding ended pretty much right when we got there, we headed to the reception, which was beautiful. It was right on a river and overlooked a beautiful bridge and green mountains across the way. The sunset was gorgeous and I enjoyed a couple glasses of champagne. The dinner table was brilliantly decorated and the food was delicious. D was anxious to leave after dessert (the cake was delicious) because he had a party to go to at a club downtown called Taj. At the time, I thought I would go with him, but I fell asleep in the car on the way back and by the time we got back into the city I knew I had to go to bed.

Sunday was a good day. I just went for a walk along the Hudson, shopped for groceries, and cleaned the apartment again. It just doesn't seem to stay with my standards. That night K, her cousin, and I went to dinner at the Boat Basin to watch the sunset. It was C's second to last day in town so she met up with us. After, C, K and I went to Cafe Lalo, the restaurant from "You've Got Mail," and had some of the most delicious dessert I've ever had. Must keep that restaurant in mind for the future....just in case.

Monday night after work, I went with my friend from work's birthday cocktail hour at the Frying Pan. The weather was a bit cloudy so there weren't as many people there as usual but we had a good time. K and C came to meet us there and we met some fun people.

I took yesterday off from work to shop around my resume. I will get a job! I had left my printed resumes at work so I hopped on the subway down to Times Square to pick them up. When I walked into the building, the sky was gray, but there was no rain. Five minutes later, when I came out of the office, it was pouring! I had an umbrella with my but it didn't do much as the streets had transformed into rivers and the rain seemed to be coming from all directions. I was dressed business casual: a nice top and an expensive BCBG silk skirt. As I was trying to push my way through the crowds and the torrential weather, my sandal got caught on something and I fell. In the street. In the middle of Times Square. I was covered in water and dirt and my outfit was ruined for the day. I ran into the subway in frustration and made my way back uptown. Rather than go job hunting like a soaking wet sponge, I chose to go home. I got caught on a median crossing the street and cars from both sides were further spraying me with water as they passed by. I was pissed.

I got home, changed into my sweats and decided that the city is doing everything it can to keep me from being employed. The frustration of not having a job is building, though I have an interview today. Who knows how that will go. It's supposed to thunderstorm again today.

That's it for now. Off to my internship. Keep your fingers crossed for me!


Post a Comment