Why I Think it's ok to NOT Act My Age

Monday, January 9, 2012

I have several friends who tease me, room mates included. Sometimes I feel I am being berated for being the way I am. I'm always caught between two sides of myself and sometimes I don't know which one to pick.

Most recently, one of my "unresolutions" is to go out more. Why? I don't really feel the need to go out more. I know that I'm always happiest when I can wake up early, get my day going without a hangover, and my idea of a rockin' Friday night is cuddling with Sasha, watching a movie, and having a glass of wine. One of my room mates recently said to me, "why don't you just go be 35 already? Your life is my biggest nightmare."

Does not going out warrant that I'm a nightmarish 35 year old inside? Does that make me uncool or not fun? My last room mate used to call me boring for not wanting to go out. I don't like being called names or told that my idea of fun isn't good enough. Sometimes I just want to tell them the truth. The truth? "I do like going out....just not with you!"

I have friends I like seeing, but whenever they invite me out, I usually say no and suggest brunch or dinner later in the week instead. This way I get to spend time actually talking to my friend, rather than straining to hear her in a crowded feet-stick-to-the-floor kind of place.

This past weekend I tried once again to "step out of my shell" as my room mates call it. I let them drag me out. We went to a place in Chinatown- another dive bar with ex frat boys and beer pong. The problem is that my room mates' idea of fun is to take shot after shot and choose which guy they will be going home with that night. That is just not me. Yet I feel ridiculed for not joining in with them. I don't want to get wasted. I don't want to spend my weekends hungover in bed.

After spending an hour talking to finance people about....well, nothing noteworthy, and paying $12 for a watered-down Absolute soda, I went home. Why do I even bother? I spend all this time getting ready and dragging myself out to dirty bars just to spend money I can't afford to spend and talking to the same kind of people who introduce themselves to me over and over again. Hmm...lesson learned; stick with what you know.

I know I like going out to lounges, dinners, martini bars, wine bars, and other places which attract a different clientele, one who enjoys a good drink but not getting drunk, one who is creative and likes interesting conversations about a variety of topics that doesn't include who you are going home with that night. So I'll keep going out. Just with people who are 35 and above- both inside and out.

Am I a freak for feeling this way? Anyone feeling like it's not fun to act like a freshman in college anymore?

4 comments:

Chevon J. - La Bella Vita said...

I'm 25 and I totally agree with you. I've never been into the filthy club scene and lounges and nice restaurants are more my scene. A few of my friends go out to clubs literally EVERY weekend and I don't get it. Don't worry. You don't have to "go be 35". There's nothing wrong with being a classy 20-something year old.

katie forness said...

I'm going to start planning a trip up...let's find some lounges to converse at, chin up, xo

Pretty Zesty said...

They are going to get over that lifestyle... just like we eventually did. And compared to you I'm 80!

NYgirl3 said...

Hahaha you are not!

Post a Comment