The Globes

Monday, January 16, 2012

Award season is here! It's my favorite time of year.....on television, that is. And there's so much to recap! There are a lot of surprising movies nominated, and so many on my list to see! I don't know how I'll ever be able to have the time (or finances) to see them all! Still on my list:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Iron Lady
The Artist
In the Land of Blood and Honey
We Need to Talk About Kevin
The Skin I Live In
Hugo
War Horse

I tried to go see The Artist two weeks ago but there was such a long line to get into the theater that I just decided to wait until the buzz died....although apparently that won't be happening any time soon. The problem is in New York each movie costs $13...and if you add that up I could potentially spend over $100 on movies. Not likely to happen!

Of course we were all looking forward to seeing Ricky Gervais once again pick on Hollywood's darlings, but he seemed much more toned down this year, other than his jabs at Kim Kardashian which were really pretty funny...and horribly true. Ya, he's a funny guy, but he wasn't outrageous this year. Perhaps he wasn't given enough time?

I was pretty surprised that Moneyball had so many nominations. I mean it's a zero to hero sports flick. How many of these have we seen?? I'm so bored. And why was My Week With Marilyn nominated in the comedy or musical category? Did anyone find that movie funny? I thought it was fantastically sad and Michelle Williams totally deserved best actress. And of course Meryl Streep had a nomination, and I'm so glad she won! She must be one of the best, if not the best, actresses of all time. But enough of this, lets get to the really important stuff: fashion.

Now is it just me or were there a lot of really blah dresses? Dresses that were pretty but with not too much flavor. Reese Witherspoon, Natalie Portman, and even Angeline Jolie were all members of this category. Strapless dresses that were nice. But that's really all you can say about them. Yes all three of them looked stunning but that's mostly because they are all, well, stunning. Rooney Mara's dress was also a safe choice. Black. Black pony tail. Blah. There were also a lot of two-toned dresses which I really didn't like, unlike my good friend H. I mean, what's with one color on top one on the bottom? Thumbs down. Unlike past years, nothing really stood out to me as "wow" but there were a few that I liked more than others. These included:

Jessica Alba


I know this kind of fits in with the "boring strapless" category but I loved the color on her and the beading is beautiful. And could her chest get any sexier? That must have taken hours of airbrush tanning and make up!

Charlize Theron


This is one of my favorites with an exception. If the bow wasn't there I think this would be my favorite dress of the night. It's a great color, she didn't play it too safe, and I love the glittery headband, but I'm a sucker for anything that sparkles. The shoes are perfect and I love the slit. I just wish it didn't have that giant bow!

Nicole Richie


This screams classic Hollywood to me. She looks perfect. I don't know if anyone anywhere has ever looked that good in bangs and I love the shimmery silver.

Evan Rachel Wood


I have to choose this as my number one. The deep green looks fantastic with her fair skin. I like the shape much better than the usual mermaid dress and look at the detail!

I also want to comment that though I found her dress to be a boring strapless, Julianne Moore's emerald colored earrings and ring looked great on her:



And who were the worst dressed? Oh dear...

Zooey Deschanel


Here we go with the two-toned dresses. What is going on here? I really don't like her hair- did anyone else notice those winged sideburns she had going? Too much black eyeliner. Not one thing about this look is good. It's really too bad because I like her a lot and she's so pretty. She could have done much better. And tuxedo nails to the golden globes? This isn't the Grammy's!

Jessica Biel


I know she's just recently become engaged to Justin, but that's no reason to slip into her great-grandmother's wedding dress. I like white lace, but her hair color is disastrous with this dress and on her. All this dress did was add the somewhat shocking appearance of a third boob hanging limply over her belt. If she lost the sleeves, went back to dirty blond, and tightened the top this look might have been ok.

Sarah Michelle Gellar


It's almost a blah strapless...except that it's so busy and exacerbating that I want to squeeze my eyes shut. "My daughter picked it out" is not an excuse. You had the dress in your room to begin with. Shame on you. This looks like a wedding dress that accidentally fell into a pool of blue dye. And with a pony tail?

There are a few dresses that I can't make up my mind about.

Madonna


The more I look at this dress the more I like it, but I'm not sure why. It's two-toned, though I have a soft spot for green and silver, and I felt like she could have worn a size up in the chest. Come on Madonna, haven't you been showing too much as it is lately? I'm a Madonna fan, and I officially want to go see WE but she seemed just a tad cocky for me last night.

Tina Fey


Who doesn't love Tina Fey? I also like this dress, and I think the color is very nice on her. I'm just not sure this dress is her. She looks a bit awkward in it, no?
Claire Danes


Claire Danes is the perfect image of grace. Do I like this dress? Yes and no. She looks very elegant. I like the back. I think it would have been better as either solid black or solid white. But there I go again hating on the multi-colored dresses.


And what happened to the Glee girls? I think these dresses were just a bit too....confusing:

Lea Michele


I like silver. I like "peek-a-boo" lace. I don't like this dress. I can't even say why. There's just too much going on.

Dianna Agron

The tiered lace, the little bird-like things by her shoulders, the see-through-ness....I don't like any of it. Good color on her though.

And the most annoying guest of the night? I name Sofia Vergara a winner!



Yes, her hair looked like silk, the color of her dress was lovely (although to me it also falls into the nice strapless catergory), and she is clearly one of the most beautiful attendees but her awards speech combined with the interviews she gave just drove me crazy. A little too cocky I'd say. Although you could argue she has a reason to be.

Well that about wraps up the Globes. I can't wait for the Oscar nominations to come out in two weeks. I just hope the host is a bit more entertaining, the fashion more captivating, and some of the attendees a little less...annoying.

0 comments:

Post a Comment