On Working Out in the Winter

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Ah, the new year. A time for resolutions. For bettering yourself. A new outlook on life. Some people, like my dad, resolve to have no resolutions this year. Others, like myself, have more than they can reasonable accomplish. Let's face it: resolutions are made for breaking aren't they? But at least they get you thinking a bit more. Of course, every year I'm going to "be healthier." I'm going to eat better, or work out more, or cut back on chocolate. Sure.

Yesterday was my first day back in the city. I'm still adjusting to the time change, so it's difficult for me to go to sleep earlier, but that's no excuse. Last night I came home from work, convinced that I was going to work out. I put on my yoga pants, grabbed my ipod and headed downstairs to the gym. Halfway down the steps I realized that my ipod was out of battery. Great. I trudged back up the steps and asked my room mate if I could borrow her ipod. Halfway down the stairs I saw that her ipod was out of battery. Hmmm....I grabbed my kindle. Please, give me a distraction from the blandness of the treadmill! Anything!

My kindle was out of battery.

At this point I figured that the universe, or at least the year 2012 was screaming at me to get in bed, "What are you thinking you crazy person? There's a -1 degree wind chill out there!"

"Ok, I'll just watch Gossip Girl reruns instead." After all, what a better use of my free time. But I did clean the kitchen too, just to relieve a bit of guilt.

But, I knew that if I just slept in my cozy yoga pants then tomorrow I would already be dressed and ready to work out. Perfect plan! When my alarm went off at 6:30 there was no way I was getting out of bed. I'm pretty sure my building's heat isn't working so obviously it was pretty cold. And, who can get out of bed and pretend to be energetic when it's dark outside? No, no. I snuggled with Sasha instead. At least I got the kitchen cleaned.

Walking to work this morning, it was 13 degrees. But it's supposed to be 45 by Saturday. Maybe this winter is almost over? ....Maybe I'm just trying to "stay positive" (one of my mom's resolutions).

So what are my resolutions that I am clearly not going to accomplish? (I can hear my mom now, "If you say you're not then you're not!") Well...work out at least 3 times a week- entirely doable, limit myself to a two drink maximum at all occasions- somewhat doable, and stop caring so much about what other people think, essentially, try to pursue what I want without worrying about others- almost impossible.

Well...there's always tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment