Back to my life

Friday, September 16, 2011

This summer has been incredible. Incredibly hot. Incredibly stressful. Incredibly changing. I've learned an incredible amount.

I'm so happy to finally be getting back to my life. I have a home. Not a dump apartment where I live in constant fear of bedbugs, roaches, and waterbugs. No disrespect from my room mate. No issues with a bad landlord or incompetent super. It's so refreshing to sleep soundly in a soft, warm bed. To get out of the shower and enjoy being in my room watching a movie with Sasha in an environment that is clean and bug free! I like coming home and my new room mates are so nice and I'm really enjoying them. What's better is that I have my privacy back! The location is great. The building is great. It's great!

I've just asked for a raise at work. I know I more than deserve it, and even though I know I won't get as much as I want, I know I'll be happy with any increase in salary. I've learned so much. I feel like I'm constantly trying to cram information in my head. I'm doing tutorials for After Effects and Avid around the clock and I'm always taking notes and asking questions. Will I ever get it? Yes, it just takes time. I've come so far from where I was a year ago and I've learned so much about technology and this industry. I feel really fortunate to be working here.

Things are finally settling down and a lot of the moving/bedbug stress is melting off of my shoulders. Even though I sometimes still wake up and search my sheets, or check for any possible unpaid bills, I know I'm doing alright. I know I'll be alright.

I was walking to work this morning. It really feels like the first day of fall. The sun was shining and the air was crisp. It was like breathing in a fresh, new air, different from the summer. I was wearing all black and had my black sunglasses on. I walked past the backside of Lincoln Center where they have had fashion shows running everyday. I watched the models come and go through the stage doors, and all of the fashion interns running around like crazy- very glamorous. Even though I've had the summer from hell, and there were days I thought I just really couldn't get through it, I'm so happy I'm here and doing it.

I started thinking about all of the things that I've accomplished, and all of the things that I've been through recently. At that moment I decided it was all worth it, because I'm here doing what I always told myself I would be doing, what I always knew I would be doing. And those bad things that happened have just lead to better things. I'm on an upward climb and I can see the top of the mountain even though I don't know what's on the other side.

Last night the office threw a surprise 50th birthday party for the owner and we all had so much fun. Karaoke and a lot of alcohol! The owner gave a very emotional speech that left most of the girls at the office crying. I really respect him and I'm so happy I'm working here and not for a corporation.

Tonight I'm going on a 6th date with a guy K set me up with a couple months ago. I like him a lot, he's creative and funny, and very nice. I'm not sure we want the same things though I think it's too soon to tell.

A couple of my college friends are coming to visit this month and I'm looking forward to seeing them. Fall in New York is such a beautiful time. It feels like this season is bringing happiness with it. Funny that the past two summers have been so difficult but yet summer is my favorite season. I'll keep you updated...

0 comments:

Post a Comment