Oh Shit.....Roaches...

Monday, January 24, 2011

It was lovely to have my mom in town this weekend, although she was only here for one full day. I can imagine she was anxious to leave after sleeping on my ironing board bed. Quite literally when she said down on the bed she made a horrid face. Ironically, my bed is the most comfortable in the apartment.

Upon first inspection, she said she thought the apartment was cute, and not so bad. However, by the end of the second day she said, "I don't know how you've stayed here so long." It's true. And I'm excited to be moving....but after Saturday I've come to realize just how much work I have ahead of me.

Saturday morning my mom and I got up early, went to breakfast at Lalo, and then over to see the new apartment. According to my dad, buyers' remorse happens frequently, and after stepping into the apartment that freezing morning, I think I developed a case of it. The kitchen radiator is leaking huge amounts of water onto the floor. The stove is not hooked up at all. The wood is coming off of the floor in my room, the "light fixture" (bulb) in the bathroom is loose and ugly, and the smoke alarm is not working. On top of all of this....there are roaches! Gross. Three dead ones in my room, one in the bathroom, and two in the kitchen. In addition to that, there were live ones crawling up the wall, in the oven, and in the bathroom sink. I live with a room mate who does her dishes as often as she updates her will, so I foresee us having a major roach problem. Things really need to be kept clean, and I know that I'll be the one that has to maintain that.

I know that once we get in there and clean it and get our rooms set up I'll feel differently. So I'm anxious to get on with the process.

I think I'm going to buy a loft bed for my room, and I'm trying to think of ways to make it feel less like a college room. I just really need the space. With the exception of my room, there are no closets in the entire apartment and even my closet is too small to hang hangers. Plus is doesn't even have a rack to hang them on, so I have a garment rack for my clothes. I just hate clutter and I want to feel excited about my room.

My mom is driving up from D.C. this Saturday with a Uhaul full of my grandfather's furniture for the new place. I know that once she leaves it will feel like home. It will be a big change! I can't wait to have my own room! I really need my space. K and I are going over to the apartment tonight to meet the super and have him help us with all the little things that need to be fixed in order to move in. Hopefully it doesn't take long and goes smoothly. The subway is a ways from the apartment and today it is really freakin freezing outside. Good thing spring is just around the corner.....right?

Other news? Not really anything. Work is going well. I'm not really dating anyone anymore. And yesterday I came down with something. So far its just been a nose-throat kind of thing although, it's starting to make my back feel achey. So hopefully I don't get too sick! If I do take a day off, I'd rather do it next week when my mom is in town. We'll see how it goes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment