I Messed Up. Big Time.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

So, taking a break from the dating world, I'm going to tell you about the colossal mistake I made at work this week. I would rather not humiliate myself, but I suppose these are the lessons we learn in life, and if I'm going to have an honest blog, I might as well be honest!

Obviously, it was an accident. I would never have purposefully deleted an entire freaking project!

That's right. Somehow, the drive I was archiving to was a drive belonging to another project, not the archive drive I had intended. Technicality aside, I single-handedly managed to completely delete and entire project. I freaked out. My hands were shaking, my mouth went dry, and I covered my face with my hands as I told my editor what I had done. I quickly spoke to the IT guy and had him try to recover the drive. I spoke to my boss and told her what I had done. Surprisingly, no one freaked out on me. I was able to get most of the footage back from the production company, but still I won't be able to recover it all (why the director of photography didn't keep a back up is beyond me). There may be some re-shooting involved, which would be terrible. But, there are many ways to look at this:

It could have been worse. It could have been for a major client who was coming in that day (it was a personal project my editor was working on). It could have been shot on the Red camera (in which case it would cost thousands to re-shoot). It could have been someone with a giant ego.

Thankfully, everyone at the office has been very supportive. Maybe it's because I admitted to my fault right away and was visibly upset. Maybe it's because I was honest and didnt try to cover anything up. Either way, the owner of the company came to me, put his hand on my shoulder and said, "nice going." I could have just died.

So, mistakes happen. Hopefully nothing like this will ever happen again. In a few years, I'm sure I won't ever think of this terrible terrible time. But for now, I'll keep my head down and tail between my legs. Maybe this is just a reminder to me to not get too comfortable. Maybe it's a lesson on reconnecting media in Avid. Or maybe I'm just that stupid.

0 comments:

Post a Comment