Back to the city

Monday, October 18, 2010


Well, Scotland was fun. It was very good to relax. And sleep. The countryside there is so beautiful. Everywhere you look there are miles of green grass, sheep eating the grass, and old stone walls which were built hundreds of years ago. It's interesting to go from a place where you could drive for miles and not see another person to a place where you can't help but bump into them on the street. While I love New York, I really enjoyed the tranquility of the countryside. Many of the trees had just begun to turn and there were many shades of yellow and orange and red...all the reasons I love fall!

I really think one of my favorite parts of the trip was going to the highlands, mostly because we stayed in this unpronounceable bed and breakfast called the Tigh Na Bruach. The woman who runs it, Catherine, is as sweet as she can be and everything was perfect. She even had sherry and chocolates in each room....major plus for me! We stayed there for two nights and from there went on the Harry Potter train. Very cool! It was exactly like the Hogwarts Express. It's too bad my sister wasn't there; she loves Harry Potter. Above is a picture we took while going over the viaduct which is used for filming in the second film.

It's nice to retire to the country...but I couldn't help but notice the extreme differences between Scotland and the city. Many of the stores, for example, are only open for a few hours day. It felt like every time I went downtown to buy something specific....there was a closed sign, even though it was 1pm. Hm. In New York you can buy anything at anytime. In fact, you can have anything delivered at anytime. What's even more strange are the people. Everything is no. No, no, NO!

My parents and I walked into a really cute tea house for afternoon tea. The host said he could seat us but, "had no soup" as if implying we wouldn't want to go there if there because of that. Another time, my mom asked the bartender what a certain beer was like....as in an ale or a lager, and he looked at her like she was stupid and responded, "it's like beer." Asshole. I didn't even want to ask him what the menu meant when it said a "round" of sandwiches (turns out...its just a sandwich that's been cut).

Speaking of the bars....what the heck is up with Smirnoff? Everywhere you go that's the ONLY vodka they have. In the states it's considered to be the lowest you can get....besides PopOv that is. I mean I just look at a Smirnoff bottle and years of college binge drinking hangovers come to mind. That's enough to make me sick right there. So while I'm not a big fan of beer, I drank water when my parents went out for their pint. Sorry Smirnoff, but you're not on my good list.

I met a 20 year old kid who was working as a bartender in a worn-down pub. He had chosen not to go to college but was very excited because he was going to begin work with his father laying pipes. And that's him for the rest of his life. It's really interesting how different people of the same age can turn out isn't it?

I arrived back to the city yesterday. I'm very happy to be back. After I got home, I went for a little walk through my neighborhood and did some people watching. Certainly very different from the people of Scotland, that's for sure. It's like a new start all over again. I'm editing a Bar Mitzvah video for a friend's friend at work...but except for that....I really don't have anything going on. I spent some time this afternoon sending in applications to temp companies and head hunting firms. Hopefully I'll be able to at least interview with some of these companies...maybe get some advice. It's difficult to know where to turn next, but I guess I'll just have to keep trying. I'll start looking for another serving job I suppose, but I am NOT going back to Cafe Lalo. That reminds me, I still need to call the labor department about him.

Alright. I'm off. Just finishing my Starbucks green tea at 81st and Broadway. After this I suppose I'll go home, I am jet-lagged after all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment